Double Fine Productions:
Erik Robson via Twitter:
- 0/6: I never tweet about work anymore. So here's a quick work thread about making fx on Artifact, Valve's Dota card game.
- 1/6: Game effects (particles, overlays, screen fx) actively straddle this line between spectacle and interface.
- 2/6: Make it pretty, but also provide satisfying and punchy visual feedback for each user action.
- 3/6: One of the challenges I'm wrestling with on Artifact right now involves very strict (and SHORT) durations for effects.
- 4/6: Often, these effects need to play concurrently with anims, making for a lot of movement and visual info packed into 0.5 - 1 sec.
- 5/6: So I'm trying to use distinctive card overlays to deliver info about status effects without having to rely on lots of motion.
- 6/6: The only downside so far: I'm fast at making effects but terribly slow at making textures - temp productivity hit, hopefully worth it.